Monday, November 22, 2010

French Onion Soup


I am right now in the beautiful city of Halifax...not quite sure what to do with myself.
I found some pictures of food left on my camera, so I decided to blog a little...why not?!
Speaking of food blogs though...after my Canadian stuffing success Americans are all about stuffing recipes. I usually ignore them (since mine is so awesome- lol!) but this was too cool...stuffing meatballs! How cool is this?!

In any case, this post is about French Onion Soup...

My mom used to make this crazy version. I remember it vaguely, so I hunted around on the interwebs and came up with this hybrid version.

What you will need:

2 large white onions - chopped
2 large cloves of garlic - sliced
1/2 stick of butter
Oregano
Thyme
Garlic Powder
3 cups Chicken Stock
1 cup white wine (and a glass for you!)
Sliced whole grain bread
Gruyere Cheese - shredded

Once all the onions are chopped, melt the butter
Add the onions
Keep the heat on medium low
Once they start sweating, add the garlic

Let it all sweat down to a big onion-y, delicious mess
Add the chicken stock
Add the spices
Let it all mix together
Add the wine
Let it all simmer together until the whole house smells like...heaven.
When ready to serve, pre-heat the oven to broil
Add a layer of gruyere
Add a piece of toasted bread
Add more gruyere
Heat in an oven-proof bowl until golden and bubbling

1 comment:

  1. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, this looks and sounds great! i'm starv'n now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails